to convey a message, entertain or inspire
How to Add Text to a PNG, JPG or SVG File
I’ll show you 3 easy ways to add text to an image whether it’s a png, jpg or svg file.
Use Canva with a PNG or JPG
1. Open your image in Canva.
2. Select browse the “Text” pane. The text pane has lots of features.
3. Click on “Add text” and a little text box will be added to your image. You can move or scale your text just like any other design element.
4. Once you know what you’d like to write, you can click the inside of the text to start typing.
If you want an even easier solution, you can use the “Textholder”: little drag-and-drop sets of pre-made font combinations. You can find the textholders at the bottom of the text pane.
To see how quickly this comes together, click on the video below to watch my short tutorial.
Adding Text with PicMonkey to Add Text
1. Open your photo in the PicMonkey Editor.
2. Head to the Text tab (Tt icon) on the left-hand side.
3. Choose from our collection of fonts, or click Yours to access any font saved to your computer.
4. Click the Add text button at the top of the tab, then type your words in the box that appears.
5. Use the Text palette to change your font size, color, add text effects, and more.
Inkscape for SVG Files
There are two ways to add text to an Inkscape drawing; as regular text or a flowed text object. I’ll tell you about the regular text option.
1. Open the Text Tool to add text to a document. You can access the tool by clicking on F8 or t.
2. Once you open the text tool, click anywhere on the screen
3. Type in the text that you want to add
4. Convert the text to a path
5. Select your text and the svg image by clicking and dragging over both of them
6. Save them as an svg.