How to Ungroup SVG Files in Cricut and Silhouette
How to use Grouped SVG Files
Let’s say that you just bought an svg file that contains multiple elements. You’ve already unzipped the files and planned out how you want to re-color and cut each element separately. But there is one teeny problem; the file elements are grouped together, now what do you do?
Well there is a simple solution. I’ll explain how to ungroup the design in your cutting machine software program so that you can easily use the svg file in Cricut Design Space and also in Silhouette Studio. This will work with the Basic Edition of Silhouette or the upgraded version. The upgraded Silhouette Studio Designer Edition gives you more options like the ability to
- Import SVG, PDF files
- Layers (Including Cut by Layer)
- Ability to import custom patterns
and lots of other helpful options.
But, like I said, you can still use the next steps to ungroup your files in either version.
How to Ungroup in Silhouette
- Select the design,
- Go to the Quick Access Tool Bar up top,
- Select the Ungroup tool on the drop down menu
- right click on the mouse and
- select the Ungroup tool on the drop down menu
*you may need to do this several times if the design is complex
If you’re a new Silhouette user, you may want more in-depth lessons about how to use your cutting machine and how to design in Silhouette Studio. If so, then you may want to take a course like the Ultimate Silhouette Guide to Designing in Silhouette Studio.
It’s self-guided, meaning that you go through the course at your own pace, so you don’t have to feel rushed. You can watch each design course when you have free time. It’s full of written lessons and video tutorials that teach skills and techniques so that you’ll feel confident designing in Silhouette Studio.
You’ll get a
- 100+ page digital download ebook
- 3.5+ hours of corresponding videos and actionable lessons.
How to Ungroup in Cricut Design Space
- Select the image and
- click the Ungroup button on the “Layers” panel
- Right click on the mouse and
- select the Ungroup tool on the drop down menu.
If you need a step by step approach and you just want someone to show you the basic steps to get started using Cricut Design Space, then check out the Basics of Cricut Design Space which is a course where you’ll learn how to use the most used steps of Design Space like, how to group, weld, slice, import text, and import images.
What you’ll get
- a 30-minute video tutorial that will show you the essentials to get going with Cricut Design Space.
- a 5 page workbook to help you follow along with the video.
If video is not your thing, you can still improve your skills with the book Cricut Design Space: A beginner’s guide on how to design your Cricut projects quick and easy . This book offers a structured approach for beginners and even intermediate designers. You can take your time while learning and still be able to go back to the book for detailed explanations.
How to Unzip SVG Files
5 Tips to Get Organized